2018 Woman of the Year Dee James
The Woman’s Club of Ouray County is proud to announce Dee James as the 2018 Woman of the Year! James was acknowledged at the December 18 meeting at the Ouray Community Center. Co-Vice President of Membership Heather Greisz made the announcement and read a list of James’ accomplishments. Co-President Faith Parry presented James with a certificate and engraved vase with flowers. James was at the December meeting accompanying the Ouray County Chorus as they presented a selection of seasonal melodies.
James joins her mother, Joan Fedel (2011) and sister, Pam Larson (2009) as Woman of the Year recipients. She was raised in Ouray, and has always been very active in her community. She has two daughters, Kia James and Nikole Stanfield and is married to husband, Ron.
James’ daughter Kia, noted “Dee has the biggest heart and is always willing to do anything she can for the community that she was born and raised in”.
A list of James’ accomplishments:
- Coached the local swim team, the Screaming Eels, for twenty years (giving up summers and free weekends)
- Donated hours to the Ouray school when in the middle of construction, especially to ensure the school re-opened in time
- Helps anyone in town with sewing needs
- Has become the “go to” pianist in town for Ouray County Chorus, concerts, musicals, Ouray County Players melodramas and Christmas shows at the Wright Opera House and many local churches
- She has set up a program for those in the community who are alone or have had a difficult year – each Valentines Day, James and students assemble and deliver at least 20 plates of cookies to ensure those people know they are loved
- James and her husband put out American flags around town for national holidays – she does this in support of a Boy Scout Troop in Ridgway
- She helps with book making projects as she has the equipment
- Water Safety Instructor at the Ouray Hot Springs Pool
Ouray School’s Superintendent Scott Pankow noted that James is the go-to person for Ouray School District doing everything from the classroom teacher, Future Business Leaders of America coach, technology and tech infrastructure, budget analysis and helps with set design and construction for all school drama productions. James is always working and doing for Ouray school district and Ouray students. She is so valued that the Senior Class of 2019 has selected her as their guest speaker.
James also works at several paid positions around Ouray to include the IT (Information Technology) Department and teaches High School Business for Ouray Public Schools. She is also a caterer, baking cakes and assisting at Secret Garden Catering. She also works at Mountain Fever Shirts and Gifts arranging the window displays and assisting in the shop.
Congratulations Dee James!